[ntp:questions] ntpd keep trying preferred servers?

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Tue Sep 6 20:12:01 UTC 2011

Seth Seeger wrote:

>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay
> offset  jitter
> *LOCAL(1)        .LOCL.          12 l    6   64  377    0.000
> 0.000   0.001
>  rds1            10.1.3.2        14 u  538 1024  377    0.148
> -0.474   0.065
>  rds2            10.1.3.2        14 u  892 1024  377    0.138
> -1.210   0.099

You need the billboards for rds1 and rds2.  It looks to me as though you
have a timing loop.  You do know that you should never have more than
one local clock driver in any loop cycle?  (These days you should use
orphan mode, instead.)

The rv's for the individual associations would also be useful.

What is 10.1.3.2 in this system?  Is it by any chance the machine being
displayed?

By the way, ntpd never synchronises to the itself.  The local clock is a
hack that prevents the root dispersion tending to infinity on an
isolated system, but it is not an input to the timing calculation as it
has an offset of zero, by definition.