[ntp:questions] ntpd keep trying preferred servers?

Harlan Stenn stenn at stenn.ntp.org
Tue Sep 6 21:37:42 UTC 2011

On 2011-09-06, Rolf Muth <rolf.muth at web.de> wrote:
> Harlan Stenn wrote:
>
>> Thanks - sorry I missed some of that info from you previous message.
>>
>> We added initial support for dynamic interfaces in 4.2.4.  Numerous
>> bugfixes and improvements have been added since then.
>>
>> I recommend you try the latest -stable code (unless you are up for the
>> latest -dev code, which we belive is very stable and is about to become
>> 4.2.8).
>>
>> If you are running ntpd on the machine that has the dynamic interface
>> then it should be detecting this.  If your machines are talking to a
>> router or access point that has the dynamic interface, I'd recommend you
>> either run NTP on that machine (best solution) or hardwire the NTP
>> config file on your machines to poll for time once a minute, so when
>> your link does come up you'll get a few polls in there.
>
> Thank you for the information, but automatically restarting ntp is not a
> problem.

There should be no reason to restart ntp.

> The configuration is sometimes changing (desktop with router or direct,
> laptop travelling) and ntp always keeps the time right on both machines.
>
> The only problem I encounter, is a wlan access point, that blocks udp. Did
> you change that, too?

I must be missing something.  NTP doesn't have anything to do with wlan
access point policy.

Any recent NTP should detect interface changes and re-check the connection.

If your "immediate" network does not change but a change happens on the
router, that should not affect ntpd on your machines - they will send
traffic and expect the router to do its job.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!