[ntp:questions] garmin 18x and linux

Miguel Gonçalves mail at miguelgoncalves.com
Wed Sep 7 09:12:59 UTC 2011

On 7 September 2011 05:07, unruh <unruh at physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

>  > I've tried Garmin 18 LVC and Sure. Not want to start a war here but for
> the
> > specifications and price Oncore beats both. :-)
>
> Beats them how? What measurements have you made of those two units in
> comparison with the oncore?
> I am not disputing but would like evidence rather than mystical
> feelings.

I have no pretension to be a GPS expert. I am an IT guy and therefore I rely
on others opinions/tests but

1. Oncore (as is Resolution T from Trimble) is a GPS specifically designed
to do GPS time transfer and has features like position hold and TRAIM. This
is a fact. I assume (and my rational thinking is usually right) that this
must be better than a positional GPS receiver that has PPS like Garmin 18
and Sure. This is my belief... As lawyers in court would put "this is MY
opinion". Of course, if I don't back my statements with evidence and facts I
expect people to take what I say with a grain of salt and judge themselves.

2. I could buy a lot of gear, study a lot, and prove this, but in my line of
work I get better things to spend my time on. And even then, Garmin and Sure
could be as good as Oncore. But even then Oncore was cheaper. Did you really
expect I would do this?

3. You could also prove I am wrong. I am not asking you to do this. :-)

I will stick to 1 and 2.

> Just my 2c.
> Is it worth that?

It's actually worth much more. This is just a typical Internet used
expression, that I've seen over the last 18 years, when people barge in
discussions just to add their small contribution.

Additionally, please bear in mind that not everyone in this list is an
English native speaker. Being Canadian, you most probably speak English and
French. I speak them both and also Portuguese (native language). I believe
that your Portuguese is not as good as my English or French.

Cheers,
Miguel