[ntp:questions] Unable to synchronise meinberg ntp server to clients.

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 16 03:13:21 UTC 2011

On 9/15/2011 9:42 PM, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On Sep 15, 2011, at 5:09 PM, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>> Until you have read and understood Dave Mills' book on the subject, just consider the defaults to be mandatory!
>
> Defaults should be a "best recommendation for the widest range of reasonable circumstances"; they aren't mandatory,
> and they aren't something which cannot be adjusted for beneficial results, at least if you have some idea as what
> you are doing and validate the consequences of a change via measurement.

BTW, is your return key broken?  The paragraph above arrived here
without carriage returns.  <carriage returns added by me>

Perhaps I should have said something like, "If you don't know what you
are doing, try the defaults."

Over the years I've seen dozens or maybe even hundreds, of people load
up their config files with "restrict" statements until NTPD can't do
*anything*!  Then they wonder why NTP won't work.

<snip>