[ntp:questions] Unable to synchronise meinberg ntp server to clients.

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Sep 16 05:57:26 UTC 2011

On Sep 15, 2011, at 8:13 PM, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>> Defaults should be a "best recommendation for the widest range of reasonable circumstances"; they aren't mandatory, and they aren't something which cannot be adjusted for beneficial results, at least if you have some idea as what you are doing and validate the consequences of a change via measurement.
>
> BTW, is your return key broken?  The paragraph above arrived here without carriage returns.

No, my return key works fine.  $WORK obligates me to use a MUA which supports i18n well, by which I don't mean UTF-8 and ISO-Latin-1, but various UTF-16 encodings like Big5/GBK and ISO-2022-JP.  Unfortunately, Mail.app no longer implements the format=flowed MIME Content-type.

Feel free to file your own bug reports with Apple and reference:

  rdar://8866049 Mail.app 4.x no longer generates format="flowed" content
  rdar://8866164 Mail.app: support external $EDITOR for message composition

Alternatively, one could leap ahead and use a 21st-century MUA which wraps text.

> Perhaps I should have said something like, "If you don't know what you are doing, try the defaults."

Yes, that would have been an improvement over your original comment.

Regards,
--
-Chuck