[ntp:questions] Magice Server Numbers: 4,5,7,9

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Fri Sep 16 06:19:02 UTC 2011

On 2011-09-16, Doug Calvert <dfc-list at douglasfcalvert.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>  From time to time people mention that the magic number of servers is
> 4,5,7 and nine. However I can not find a reference or explanation for
> the magical properties. Can anyone explain the background/basis in
> general? And specifically how is five or seven preferable to six?

Odd numbers are better than even-- cannot have a tie (well, actually it
could)
It is actually 3 that is the magic number. (can outvote one false
ticker.) 5 can outvote 2, 7 can outvote 3. With 6 three may be a tie,
and the three good ones will not necessarily outvote three false tickers
( but can 2)