[ntp:questions] Garmin 18 LVC high offset and jitter

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Mon Sep 19 04:29:36 UTC 2011

> Hi all!
>
> I am having a problem with a Dell server that has a Garmin 18 LVC
> attached.
[]
> Can anyone help??
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
> Miguel

Miguel,

I don't know whether it's your problem, but if you are using a Garmin GPS
18x LVC, be sure to use firmware either 3.20 or before, or 3.70, as there
is a problem with some versions of the firmware where the NMEA data can be
more that one second late compared to the PPS pulse, and hence present the
incorrect time information to NTP.

  https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsDetails.jsp?id=4055&product=010-00321-51&cID=170&pID=223

On Internet servers here I see typical delays of 23 ms upwards, and
offsets up to 3 ms.

Cheers,
David