[ntp:questions] Unable to synchronise meinberg ntp server to clients.

Dave Hart hart at ntp.org
Mon Sep 19 12:36:33 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 10:55, Samuel Nyarko <sknnyy2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 15, 6:30 pm, Dave Hart <h... at ntp.org> wrote:
> > Please try commenting out all "restrict" lines in ntp.conf and repeat
> > your test.  There's a good chance that will fix things, and you can
> > iterate over restrict changes to isolate what's breaking.  If removing
> > restrict lines doesn't solve your problem, please post "ntpq -crv -p"
> > output, and describe the clients having trouble in more detail.  If
> > the clients are using ntpd, on a client try:
> >
> > ntpq -p
> >
> > Note which line of output lists the server the client isn't using, and
> > assuming it's the first, include output of
> >
> > ntpq -crv -p -c "rv &1"
> >
> > on the client.  If the server was the third line, change the command
> > to use "&3".
>
> Hello
>
> I have commented out all the restrict lines but the NTP output is the
> same.

Ok.  I wasn't expecting a noticeable change in the server's peers
billboard (which you pasted from a Meinberg utility on Windows, FYI
"ntpq -p" output from a command prompt is more polite, though still a
little too wide for email and so usually split onto multiple lines for
each entry).

In another response, you indicated your clients are some embedded
systems.  Are those clients still unable to synchronize after you
restarted the server ntpd without restrict configuration?  If they
are, please post "ntpq -p -crv" output, which will show some server
runtime stats that might hint at the reason the clients are not
working with this server.

Cheers,
Dave Hart