[ntp:questions] Google and leap seconds

Marco Marongiu brontolinux at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 12:20:13 UTC 2011

Hello

An official Google blog post[1] drove me to this question: if the OS
implements the kernel discipline, and we have a positive leap second, do
we expect that the time will step back one second when the leap second
is inserted?

The question arose after mumbling a bit about the blog post.

In the post, a Google engineer says that: "Computers traditionally
accommodate leap seconds by setting their clock backwards by one second
at the very end of the day."

By the way, in the NTP FAQ[2] I read: "If the operating system
implements the kernel discipline [...] the kernel will handle the leap
seconds without further action necessary. If the operating system does
not implement the kernel discipline, [...] the situation will be handled
just like an unexpected change of time: [...] eventually ntpd will step
the time."

So I expect that OSs implementing the kernel discipline will go through

23:59:58 -> 23:59:59 -> 23:59:60 -> 00:00:00

in case of a positive leap second, and

23:59:58 -> 00:00:00 -> 00:00:01

in case of a negative one. This shouldn't have any negative effect on
applications, unless they are designed to always expect second 00 to
follow 59.

>From Dr.Mills' pages[3] I understand that the kernel discipline is
implemented at least in "Solaris, Tru64, FreeBSD and Linux, and possibly
others".

Now, I don't know what OSs Google is referring to in that blog post, but
I'd expect it is one of those listed above. And they are saying they had
to do something because in 2005 their computer clocks stepped back one
second and screwed their apps.

That's why I think that I am missing something, and hence the question
above: are leap seconds supposed to be managed by stepping back the
clock when using NTP? Or wasn't it that the OS at the time of the fault
didn't support the KD, or had a faulty management of the leap seconds?
Or, maybe, it was their apps's fault?

Can anyone help me understand?

Thanks in advance

Ciao