[ntp:questions] Google and leap seconds

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Sep 21 17:12:24 UTC 2011

Once upon a time, unruh  <unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> said:
>Posix clearly has never even though about leapseconds, so their
>recommendations are pretty irrelevant.

I wouldn't say they never thought about them; they made a choice to
avoid them because too much code assumes "(time()%86400)==0" means
midnight UTC, and leap seconds break that (making basic clock handling
much more complicated).

At least on Linux, you can choose to have leap seconds, based on the
tzdata:

$ TZ=UTC date -d @1230768023
Thu Jan  1 00:00:23 UTC 2009
$ TZ=right/UTC date -d @1230768023
Wed Dec 31 23:59:60 UTC 2008

but that is just done in the timezone conversion, not the actual clock
handling.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>