[ntp:questions] Google and leap seconds

Steve Allen sla29970 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 22:50:34 UTC 2011

On Sep 21, 3:04 pm, Harlan Stenn <st... at ntp.org> wrote:
> The timescale is a necessary part of the metadata.
>
> I think this overall situation is a case where "implied metadata" is
> biting us.

Worse than that, the IERS still refers to the 1986 version CCIR Rec.
460-4
ftp://hpiers.obspm.fr/iers/bul/bulc/BULLETINC.GUIDE
Since then the CCIR became the ITU-R and released two revisions
up to ITU-R TF.460-6, and just last month the former director of the
BIPM called for the ITU-R to relinquish UTC to the CGPM
http://iopscience.iop.org/0026-1394/48/4/S01/
so it's totally unclear who is or will be in charge.  That makes the
subject of leap seconds a lot like the content of zoneinfo.