[ntp:questions] NTP 4.2.6p4 Released

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Wed Sep 28 05:20:21 UTC 2011

"NTP Public Services Project" <webmaster at ntp.org> wrote in message
news:E1R8ZLK-0007wF-QD at mail.kostecke.net...
> Redwood City, CA - 2011/09/23 - The NTP Public Services Project
> (http://support.ntp.org/) is pleased to announce that NTP 4.2.6p4,
> a Point Release of the NTP Reference Implementation from the
> NTP Project, is now available at http://www.ntp.org/downloads.html and
> http://support.ntp.org/download.
[]
> ntpd
>
> * Added the NTPD_TICKADJ_PPM environment variable for specifying
> baseline
>  clock slew on Microsoft Windows

Does NTPD_TICKADJ_PPM allow the use of clocks which are more than 500 ppm
out?  Sorry if I missed any earlier discussion on this (and I don't run
Linux).  How does one go about determining the value to set - just
guesswork?

I'm interested because someone has just reported problems with NTP on a
system which gain (or loses) 1 second in 10 minutes!  1 part on 600!  This
adjustment could be most helpful.

Thanks,
David