[ntp:questions] NTP 4.2.6p4 Released

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Wed Sep 28 18:19:40 UTC 2011

"unruh" <unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote in message
news:slrnj86n3g.emt.unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca...
[]
> Is he using a virtual system? Is that loss constant ( or is it sometimes
> 1 sec, sometimes 3 sec sometimes nothing). He is eitehr running a
> virtual machine, in which case he should not be using ntpd, or his
> operating system is doing an attrocious job of setting the system time
> rate of his clock.

Thanks for your thoughts, Bill.  No, this is a real PC, which used to work
correctly.  There is a question as to (a) whether the PC has become
faulty, (b) whether something had changed in the software, or (c) whether
some other program is interfering with the time.  Nothing is supposed to
have changed in the software, and there are no restore points early enough
to check (b).  The obvious candidates for (c) are not present, which
leaves (a) as the obvious cause, but I has my doubts that a PC would
suddenly start to lose 1 second every ten minutes.

I don't know whether the loss is constant, as with NTP running it keeps
resetting, and investigations are continuing.  It's at the point where I'm
running out of ideas, so I may, very reluctantly, ask Dave H to get
involved, if the current tests prove unsuccessful.  These tests are now to
try and run as plain an NTP as possible, but a more recent version
(4.2.6p4).  I'll post the outcome here.

Cheers,
David