[ntp:questions] NTP 4.2.6p4 Released

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Thu Sep 29 06:11:30 UTC 2011

"unruh" <unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote in message
news:slrnj8815h.lja.unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca...
[]
> No way. ntpd will not reset the clock. If it finds the rate that far
> out, it will shut down.

The log files suggest otherwise.

> The question is whether or not it is consistant, in which case it sounds
> like the system is not setting the intial clock rate properly. The
> system has an internal crystal, and a timer chip which counts a certain
> number of oscillations and interrupts. It also calibrates the cpu
> counter against the timer ticks. Now it is hard to imagine how that
> hardware would go wrong.
>
> a)find out if the time rate loss is consistant.
> b) Try running chrony instead of ntpd and find out what the rate
> correction is and see if it is consistant.

Yes, I also find it difficult to accept that a crystal would change by
that much, which is why I didn't immediately just say "faulty hardware".
I just checked chrony and it does not appear to be available for Windows.
In any case, this system worked correctly before with ntp, so there's no
need to change.  Work is in progress, and I will report back.

Cheers,
David