[ntp:questions] Ramifications of bug 1999 resolution: "Remove PMOTGoutput senten ce from Type-20 driver"

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Fri Sep 30 14:26:58 UTC 2011

> Hi all,
>
> I've just noticed bug 1999, "Remove PMOTG output sentence from Type-20
> driver".
[]
> Whilst I agree that ntpd probably doesn't need to send this by default,
> and
> also have no imminent concern as we're using the new stable release
> 4.2.6p4
> which still sends the PMOTG messages at the poll interval, I'd like to
> know
> that ntpd can still be built with this mechanism enabled for refclock 20
> in
> future versions.
[]
> I also appreciate that this is a real corner case and that I'm a little
> fish
> in a big pond, so I could understand if there was no desire to
> accomodate my
> needs, but it would be good to know what the future holds in this regard
> before I pack and ship my nav sw.
>
> Regards
> Darren Long

Darren, as the originator of this "bug", I would be quite happy to see it
as an option in future versions, but I would rather it was not the
default.  I do like what you've done with the option, and it allows a very
simple heartbeat/health-checker to be built.

By the way: I was seeing pulses every second, not just at the poll
interval.  Poll-interval pulses (i.e. one per 16 seconds for a PPS clock
source) would be OK with me as well, although I would /prefer/ none..

Cheers,
David