[ntp:questions] Missing peer bug in 4.2.7p270

A C agcarver+ntp at acarver.net
Sat Apr 7 03:33:39 UTC 2012

On 4/6/2012 19:59, Dave Hart wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 23:09, A C<agcarver+ntp at acarver.net>  wrote:
>> There's an intermittent bug in 4.2.7p270 that seems to drop the last
>> Internet peer during startup.  Note this bug exists in the unmodified source
>> code so it's nothing to do with any of the tinkering I've done.
>>
>> I have two refclocks and five Internet hosts configured for a total of seven
>> peers.  Once in a while, it fails to configure the last Internet peer and
>> the ntpq billboard shows a missing entry as does the log file where there is
>> one fewer mobilize message.  Restarting sometimes helps.  One out of every
>> three or four restarts has a problem.
>
> Most likely this is a DNS failure.  When it occurs, check your ntp.log
> or syslog for a "giving up resolving host" message.  That message's
> details might suggest a change to improve the situation.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave Hart

No error messages for DNS in the logs (grep for DNS, giving, host,
lookup, resolve).  It would appear DNS worked but the peer simply
vanished sometime during startup.

Is there a pruning process that occurs if two identical IPs come
through?  I'm wondering if two of the round-robin pool servers happened
to deliver the same IP.