[ntp:questions] Problem syncing NTP behind NAT

Ken Link klink at numberzero.org
Sat Apr 7 16:53:04 UTC 2012

I did some more testing with a total of four different machines behind
the NAT. Two of them synced in a few seconds, the other two were stuck
in INIT. For the machines that didn't sync, the external server did
not respond at all.

Here are the detailed packet captures of each session, as seen from
the external server. The same tcpdump filter string was used for each
capture, and NTP was running on only one NAT'd machine at a time. The
source IP is the same for each machine behind the NAT, while the
source ports are all different. Sorry for the image links, but this
would have been a LOT of text to paste.

Machine A (works): http://i.imgur.com/a5qL5.png
Machine B (doesn't work): http://i.imgur.com/F8ndL.png
Machine C (doesn't work): http://i.imgur.com/OxIpE.png
Machine D (works): http://i.imgur.com/Bcpfd.png

The restrict config on the external machine is this:

restrict -4 default limited kod notrap nomodify nopeer
restrict -6 default limited kod notrap nomodify nopeer
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict ::1

The external machine has a pretty basic conf. A drift file, enabling
stats, a couple server/peer/pool machines defined, then those restrict
lines from above. That's it.

Maybe you can see a difference that I can't.

Ken

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 10:37 PM, E-Mail Sent to this address will be
added to the BlackLists <Null at blacklist.anitech-systems.invalid>