[ntp:questions] ntpd executable -x option

Nick G nickgeovanis at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 00:01:53 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:29:15 PM UTC-5, David Woolley wrote:
> False.  It will continue to use the user space time discipline it has
> been using all along.  This has a one second sawtooth, so is not as
> accurate as the kernel space discipline, which applies corrections on
> every clock interrupt.  However, it will still apply the last known
> frequency correction.

There is a "cluster verification" script-and-binaries which you use to make certain that your server has all it needs to run Oracle RAC (11.2.0 specifically). That tool tells me that I must run ntpd (good...) and I must run it with "-x" (ehh?). I'm failing to dream-up a good reason why Oracle RAC might want reduced time-keeping accuracy. Are they really looking for fewer "unnecessary" local clock corrections? Or a wider tolerable time-spread among the cluster members? Fewer "stolen" cycles in kernel mode?
Thanks.....NickG