[ntp:questions] GPS kit reverting to 1992 in April 2012?

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Fri Apr 20 18:38:10 UTC 2012

Rick Jones wrote:
> I've heard some vague rumours about there being some bit of GPS kit
> out there with a bug that causes it's idea of the time to revert to
> 1992 once we get to April 2012.  Does anyone have (pointers to)
> details?

This sort of problem has happened once already, when the 10-bit week
counter first wrapped around.

1024 weeks ~= 20 years

But since all GPS vendors with firmware problems had to fix this at that
time, I can't see any significant problems on the next wrap point.

BTW, the last wraparound was on Aug 22 1999, so the next should not
happen until 2019 or so!

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>