[ntp:questions] ntpd interfacing with newsyslog/logrotate?

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Sun Apr 22 11:15:11 UTC 2012

A C wrote:
> Does anyone familiar with NetBSD know if there's a particular
> configuration for newsyslog that will allow the main ntpd log to rotate
> on a regular basis?  It seems that ntpd loses track of its log file
> during a rotate and stops updating.

NetBSD-5.1-Stable on i386 here. My ntp.log has rotated
without since around 1998 when running NetBSD-1.5x but
only has "ntpd exiting" messages. Startup of ntpd goes
to /var/log/messages.

Ntp-stats.sh is a script run from cron at 6 or 10 minute
intervals that calls ntpq and ntpdc (should be changed
now to only use ntpq) to log stats which are rotated
monthly by another cron job. More recently I've replaced
ntp-stats by loop_summary and peer_summary which are more
compact but again rotated from a cron job rather than
newsyslog.

David