[ntp:questions] NTP on local networks

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 05:24:56 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Kennedy, Paul <P.Kennedy at fugro.com.au>wrote:

> Exactly so.  you can purchase a GPS receiver for well under $100 connect
> it to a serial port + pps on any of the pc's and have microsecond
> accuracy in a few hours.  This 'master' can then serve time to all other
> PC's.  The systems will then behave for years of unattended use.  It is
> a far more cost effective solution.

The OP said he can go into another room and connect to the Internet can
sync a computer.   It seems to me that there might be some rule that
prevents wires going into the room he works in, else why not simply run an
Ethernet cable.   Many places do have such rules.  He might work in a place
where they process classified information.  In that case they might not
allow an antenna cable or any kind of wire to penetrate the room boundaries.

If I have guessed correctly then what he needs  is an atomic clock.  Buy a
few of those $40 Rubidium units that are on eBay

> regards
> pk
>

> --

Chris Albertson