[ntp:questions] WARNING: someone's faking a leap second tonight

Marco Marongiu brontolinux at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 12:58:53 UTC 2012

On 01/08/12 10:28, Marco Marongiu wrote:
> I tried to collect some information around the globe, but with scarce/no
> feedback. I am *suspecting* that this could be a rather imaginative
> attempt to DOS worldwide.
>
> Anyway, a colleague of mine is now hunting down some upstreams that
> faked the leap second. If we get something out of his research, I'll let
> you know.

While my colleague is working with a stratum 1 timekeeper to investigate
this better, I called the people at INRiM in Italy -- INRiM is the
institution responsible for the official Italian time
(http://www.inrim.it/index.shtml). Mr.Pettiti confirmed there was *no*
leap second scheduled yesterday (as we all suspected, right?), so that
is definitely a fake.

It may well be a DOS attempt, but as another colleague of mine suggests,
it could also be a bug in some upstream servers, which didn't disarm the
leap second after June 30th, and propagated it again yesterday.

Question now is: assuming those servers were running ntpd, was such a
bug reported at some point?

Ciao
-- bronto