[ntp:questions] NTP + PPS on Atom motherboards

Thomas Laus lausts at acm.org
Wed Aug 1 13:11:25 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-01, Hahn, Ron <ron.hahn at fmr.com> wrote:
> Colleagues,
>
> I have used exactly the same recipe on a Core 2 Duo Tyan server and
> the times are maximally off by only +4uS/-2uS from PPS.  So I am
> thinking there is something fundamental wrong with the Atom boards.
> I have repeated the experiments with a Pentium 4 server in another
> location and I am also seeing excellent timekeeping too.  I am
> thinking that maybe the Atom clock on the board is too consumer for these uses??
>
> Has others experienced these difficulties with Atom motherboards as Stratum 1 servers?

I have been using several Intel D510MO boards for the last few years
along with Oncore receivers.  The ntpq billboards are in the +2us./ -4 us offset
range at all times.  I am also using FreeBSD 8.3 on all of my time serverrs.
My jitter numbers are also in that same very low range.

Tom

--
Public Keys:
PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1