[ntp:questions] WARNING: someone's faking a leap second tonight

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Aug 2 09:04:59 UTC 2012

E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists wrote:
> Martin Burnicki wrote:
>> It turned out this happened with some older versions of
>>   ntpd when the customers had installed e.g. 3 or 4 servers
>>   for redundancy, and each NTP server had the other ones
>>   configured as upstream server (personally I know this is
>>   not a good configuration, but they did it anyway).
>
> What kind of association were they, Peer, Server, AnyCast, ...?

I remember at least one setup with 4 identical servers, where each
server had a local GPS refclock configured (which for sure didn't send
the leap warning anymore after the real leap second had passed) and in
addition had simple "server" entries for the other 3 servers.

Unfortunately this was mostly handled on the phone, so I don't have any
records with details.

Anyway, I'll see if we can install a similar setup here to see if we can
duplicate this behaviour.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki