[ntp:questions] NTP on local networks

Will Shackleford shackle at nist.gov
Wed Aug 1 13:40:14 UTC 2012

Thanks,

I should have provided  a number of additional details.

The lab is an interior lab on the ground floor of a 3 story building
with no windows.
The work is not classified but security rules do make things difficult.
GPS doesn't seem like an easy solution.

The computers log data from an experiment(s). If the time stamps in the
log files for
one computer are off by 20-30ms from the time stamps in the log files of
another computer
then the results of the experiment could be impacted.

However if all computers were off by the same offset from official time
of a few seconds, it wouldn't matter.
Off by more than a few seconds wouldn't make the data unusable but might
cause some confusion when we go to find the right log files.

The rubidium units I see on E-bay look like they were designed to go in
a CD player. Would I need
additional hardware to connect it to a computer and software to read it
as a clock source?