[ntp:questions] WARNING: someone's faking a leap second tonight

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Sat Aug 4 00:08:26 UTC 2012

Jeff wrote:
> Oh, my mistake:  I quote RFC5905 below, which is for NTPv4, which is
> technically in _draft_ status - though it does seem pretty far along and
> I believe current ntpd adheres to NTPv4, not v3.

The NTP code *defines* the spec, and there will be times when the
current spec and the code match, and there are times when the current
code is getting ready to define the *next* spec.

> For what it's worth the most recently approved protocol is, technically,
> NTPv3, documented in RFC1305 - and that one does say "current day" -
> though again, ntpd respects the end-of-month rule.

That depends on your definition of "Approved".  NTPv3 (RFC 1305) never
made it out of DRAFT status.

RFC 5905 is a "Proposed Standard".