[ntp:questions] WARNING: someone's faking a leap second tonight

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Sat Aug 4 08:07:52 UTC 2012

Harlan Stenn wrote:
>> Oh, my mistake:  I quote RFC5905 below, which is for NTPv4, which is
>> technically in _draft_ status - though it does seem pretty far along and
>> I believe current ntpd adheres to NTPv4, not v3.
>
> The NTP code *defines* the spec, and there will be times when the

I think you mean the "ntpd reference implementation", e.g. Microsoft's
NTP code does not define the standard.

Also, I don't think this is the correct relationship between RFCs and
reference implementations.  An RFC specifies the protocol for a specific
reference implementation.  If you do more than fix bugs in the reference
implementation, you need a new RFC before it becomes the standard.