[ntp:questions] Does NTP cause an abrupt/sudden change in an orphan's system time?

Rob nomail at example.com
Wed Aug 8 13:57:13 UTC 2012

Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> wrote:
> If this situation is "difficult" for you I'd recommend you get an
> inexpensive GPS receiver and use that to sync your master machine(s).
>
> Check out the Sure Electronics GPS board, which can be easily modified
> to provide a PPS signal.  There are other inexpensive GPS units as well.

Yet another time the completely irrelevant topic of the hobbyist GPS
receiver is brought into the thread...

The OP was asking about abrupt/sudden changes in a system's time.
This is unrelated to the availability of GPS.
When he connects the GPS receiver he will have to watch the same issue
as when connecting to another reference.