[ntp:questions] Does NTP cause an abrupt/sudden change in an orphan's system time?

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Wed Aug 8 15:59:00 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-08, Rob <nomail at example.com> wrote:
> Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> wrote:
>> If this situation is "difficult" for you I'd recommend you get an
>> inexpensive GPS receiver and use that to sync your master machine(s).
>>
>> Check out the Sure Electronics GPS board, which can be easily modified
>> to provide a PPS signal.  There are other inexpensive GPS units as well.
>
> Yet another time the completely irrelevant topic of the hobbyist GPS
> receiver is brought into the thread...
>
> The OP was asking about abrupt/sudden changes in a system's time.
> This is unrelated to the availability of GPS.
> When he connects the GPS receiver he will have to watch the same issue
> as when connecting to another reference.

It was related to his statement that his server was not connected to the
net and thus its time was out, and then it connected to the net. The
statement about GPS was make to fix the problem that when it was not
connected to the net, it had a bad time. GPS "always" operates. Of
course his machine could be in a bunker 1000 meter underground with no
connection to the surface, in this case the GPS option would be no good
either. But in may circumstance it IS an answer to the problem the OP
had.