[ntp:questions] is USB inherently evil, or only if something else is on the bus?

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Wed Aug 8 23:31:25 UTC 2012

E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists <Null at blacklist.anitech-systems.invalid> wrote:

> server ntp-cup.external.hp.com iburst prefer # Corp Cupertino CA (SF
>                                              # Bay area)

I'm pretty sure that system is down and has been for quite some time.
And even if it isn't down yet, it will be in a couple months at most
as HP vacates its former Cupertino site (sold to Apple).  And if that
system used the Spectracom WWVB receiver I've mentioned a couple times
in the past, it is definitely down as I know the base unit has been
disconnected for well more than a year and is no longer even on site
in Cupertino. (And has become, alas well and truly separated from its
antenna which is now MIA - I went up on the roof of Buidling 43 to see
if it was still there and it was not)

> pool 0.hp.pool.ntp.org iburst preempt # HP doesn't actually appear
>                                       # to have a vendor pool?

I am not aware of one.

> pool 0.dec.pool.ntp.org iburst preempt # DEC doesn't actually appear
>                                        # to have a vendor pool?

Did the pool concept emerge before or after DEC was no longer an
independent entity?

> You might want to contact for advice:
>  "timer at cup.hp.com" & "ntp-admin at wrl-mail.hpl.hp.com"

I just tried timer at cup.hp.com and that alias is no longer valid - I
got a bounce.  No bounce just yet on the second.

rick jones