[ntp:questions] Does NTP cause an abrupt/sudden change in an orphan's system time?

Thu Aug 9 19:55:24 UTC 2012

unruh wrote:> David Woolley wrote:
>> Steve Kostecke wrote:
>>> What will happen when ntpd is started has been discussed
>>>  elsewhere in this thread.
>>
>> If you want to clear a very large error by a pure slew,
>>  the best way is not to start ntpd until you have cleared
>>  the error, but, instead, to use whatever utility your OS
>>  uses to access the system calls that ntpd uses, and set
>>  a high slew rate, which you only clear when you are
>>  approaching zero offset.
>
> But why should he have to do this by hand?  Why should ntpd
>  not do it for him?  Taking care of such housekeeping is
>  what computers are good for.

It will, that is what the step is, if panic is disabled.

I am unclear though if the OP didn't want to step the time
  when starting ntp, apparently long after system is booted,
   {If so I doubt they would want to manually step either};
 or just not wanting a step when internet connectivity reoccurs,
  while the system and ntp had been already running?

  will be added to the BlackLists.