[ntp:questions] NTP and VMware

Ali Nikzad nikzad.a at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 04:34:51 UTC 2012

Hi,

I have a cluster which its computers are not connected to Internet. One
Linux based and five ESXi based servers which host virtual machines in a
vSphere cluster. I need time synchronization between the hosts. Since ESXi
supports NTP, I configured the Linux based node to serve as the NTP server
and the ESXi nodes as NTP clients.

I configured the server's ntp.conf as follows:

#192.168.2.10
driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10
tos cohort 1 orphan 11
restrict source nomodify
restrict 192.168.2.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap

and the clients' ntp.conf file:

#192.168.2.X
driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
server 192.168.2.10
tos cohort 1 orphan 11
restrict source nomodify
restrict default kod nomodify notrap nopeer
restrict 127.0.0.1

The problem is clients do not synchronize their times with the server.
What can be the cause of the problem?

Thank you,
Ali