[ntp:questions] Understanding MJD in NTPv4 test cases

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Fri Aug 17 14:32:04 UTC 2012

antony,

The NTP timescale described on the NTP Era and Era Numbering page at the
NTP Project site reckonds JDN days and fraction since noon on the first
day of year 4613. The correspondence betwen JDN day and civil year prior
to Pope Gregory's bull is in JDN years of 365.25 days , as is the habit
of historians. The year since the papal bull corresponds to the
Gregorian Calendar. The tables you see in the documentation were
determined by an awesome Excel spreadsheet that apparently is unreadable
with the current Excel version. Whatever bugs may remain are mine, but
do not affect the current NTP timekeeping, only possible historic
misadventures.

David