[ntp:questions] Trimble Thunderbolt support?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 17:26:05 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 7:16 AM, John Ackermann N8UR <jra at febo.com> wrote:

> The documentation at http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~**mills/ntp/html/drivers/*
> *driver29.html<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver29.html>indicates that support for the Trimble Thunderbolt GPSDO may be incomplete,
> but the page was last updated in January, 2007.
>
> Has anything been done since then to improve the Trimble support, or are
> the problems noted there ones that don't affect normal operation, such that
> I can plug the TBolt in and get good NTP performance with the driver as-is?

I'm using the t-bolt.  It seems to work.   I guess there might be more
functions the driver could implement.  Perhaps better support for
self-survey or logging or whatever.  I'd like to see internal temperature
logged.  But for normal NTP use it works fine.

If you only have one GPS the t-bolt is the one to have.  But if you can
afford two there are lower priced GPSes that use less power that work well
with NTP.   I have the t-bolt and two UT+ units.

Whatever you get make sure it is a TIMING gps.  The Garmin units and the
Sure Electronic board at not timing GPS although they do have PPS outputs.
 They work but they are "uSec" level devices.  I'd look for 100ns or better.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California