[ntp:questions] Timing GPS recommendations

Hahn, Ron ron.hahn at fmr.com
Mon Aug 20 09:31:47 UTC 2012

Colleagues,

Chris Albertson, made the following statement:

--< begin >--
I'm using the t-bolt.  It seems to work.   I guess there might be more
functions the driver could implement.  Perhaps better support for
self-survey or logging or whatever.  I'd like to see internal temperature
logged.  But for normal NTP use it works fine.

If you only have one GPS the t-bolt is the one to have.  But if you can
afford two there are lower priced GPSes that use less power that work well
with NTP.   I have the t-bolt and two UT+ units.

Whatever you get make sure it is a TIMING gps.  The Garmin units and the
Sure Electronic board at not timing GPS although they do have PPS outputs.
 They work but they are "uSec" level devices.  I'd look for 100ns or better.

I have been using FreeBSD 8.3 with the Sure GPS board for the last while. I get accuracy in the single digit microsecond region most of the time.

To move to the next level, I believe I need one of these "Timing GPS" units. Any recommendations on specific brands and models for the person not familiar with these devices?  I am familiar with the Thunderbolt unit and the HP z2801 series.  I do not know what a "UT+" is. Are there others? Maybe less expensive or better performing than the Thunderbolt or HP?

Ron