[ntp:questions] broadcast server configuration

Ganesh Subramonian ganeshsubramonian at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 16:59:40 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am trying to setup an NTP server in broadcast mode; however this
might not always be configured to an external NTP server.
Somone before me, uses this configuration file:

tinker panic 0 stepout 128
broadcast 127.1.255.255 minpoll 4           // this is the internal
subnet where time has to be broadcast
server 127.127.1.1 minpoll 4 maxpoll 5
interface listen all
fudge 127.127.1.1 stratum 5
driftfile /tmp/ntpd.drift
enable calibrate

Is this correct ? I am not clear whether ntpd will try to set the
local clock in this configuration or Is there some way to say that
ntpd should not set the local clock, but should broadcast time ?

thanks
Ganesh