[ntp:questions] NTP time compare util

Ivan Shmakov oneingray at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 04:08:47 UTC 2012

[...]

> [...]

[...]

 > Use ntpd + ntpq.

 > ntpd polls your chosen time servers and determine which is aparently
 > the "best". ntpd continuously steers your system clock towards the
 > chosen time server.

 > ntpq can be used to display the differences between the time servers
 > polled by ntpd.

	Unless I be mistaken, there's no option for ntpd(8) /not/ to set
	the system clock.  This means that (in contrast to ntpdate(8)),
	running ntpd(8) requires the respective privileges, which are
	unlikely to be available when running under an "ordinary" user
	account, or on a "virtual" server instance.  (As in: to report
	the problem with the system clock being incorrectly set to the
	support.)

--
FSF associate member #7257	http://sf-day.org/