[ntp:questions] Timing GPS recommendations

DaveB g8kbv at uko2.co.uk
Wed Aug 29 08:22:57 UTC 2012

In article
<CABbxVHtPo4jVQ_fVXQkxLYtn0aSvQ25j+CaXGOVy_Y_M9RLH6A at mail.gmail.com>,
albertson.chris at gmail.com says...

> Actually can CAN set a remote clock very accurately.  This is how NTP works
> and what it idoes best.    NTP uses the Internet to synchronise clocks to
> MUCH higher precision than the delay in Internet messages.

<Snip>

> Chris Albertson
> Redondo Beach, California

But, as I've found, only if "The Internet" has predictable and stable
ping times.

When your ISP is so clagged up with traffic, or as a home user you get
"trottled" during the day, then the ping times wander between a few 10's
of uS, and often over 1.5 seconds at random, ping to ping, even NTP
can't cope with that!

Dave B.