[ntp:questions] Have Pi, have GPS = low powered NTP server?

DaveB g8kbv at uko2.co.uk
Wed Aug 29 08:32:08 UTC 2012

In article <b0590fa0-d352-4ce0-8504-7708460900c9 at googlegroups.com>,
pktrigg at gmail.com says...

> Hi,
> I have my pi running on the web right now at http://121.221.94.250/
>
> I made a small web site to expose various parameters in realtime.
> Still waiting for my gps unit, but I am pretty happy with millisecond
> from live internet sources.  PPS is next.
> The website needs a little more polish, but the basics are there.

http://121.221.94.250/   Unreachable, 08:19 UTC Wednesday 29th August.

I've seen on another site, that people using the chipset based serial
port with GPS and other devices, and have *Much* better results than
when using a USB hosted serial port.

There are still issues with the Pi's network port, as that aparrently is
a USB driven device on board, resulting in more latency than might be
expected otherwise, and some extra variability too.

I also found that the Pi would lock up and need a power cycle, if left
running the default NTPD service for anything more than two or three
days.  It was predictable and repeatable, but I've not tried updating
the OS (or NTP) and doing that again.   That was using the original
Debian distro for the thing.

At this exact time, it's back in it's box while I make room for it by
doing other things, much more important according to domestic
management.   I have other plans for it.

Regards.

Dave B.