[ntp:questions] Have Pi, have GPS = low powered NTP server?

Kennedy, Paul P.Kennedy at fugro.com.au
Wed Aug 29 09:07:37 UTC 2012

Hi Dave,
good feedback.
I have had the pi running for several days now without a hitch.  Due to
my dynamic IP (pending a static ip), you can find the pi and associated
ntp server at:

http://secondthoughts.no-ip.org

I made a small realtime time-series plot and a page displaying ntpq info
so I can more easily review performance.

I fully intend to use serial GPS+PPS when it arrives (slow boat from
china), but will continue to build the web site for monitoring the
service in the meantime. I am currently building the web page to add
additional ref clocks.

I do se occasional spikes in the offset.  you can see them in the timer
series plots which are based on loopstats files.  I would hope they
disappear when I have pps.  I am not sure if this is pi/ethernet or the
refclock (which is not close-by).  My final use-case is on our internal
LAN's at work where we have a GPS unit always on hand, but this is a
homework project right now, so the going is a bit slow.

I have not seen any lockups yet, and will try to keep it running as long
as possible without a reboot.  If you have seen it, I am sure it will
pop up for me as well.  If we get them, the pi is a showstopper for me.

regards
pk