[ntp:questions] NTP time compare util

Kennedy, Paul P.Kennedy at fugro.com.au
Thu Aug 30 03:47:23 UTC 2012

I had a think about this oddball question last night, and decided to
explore it a little further.

Assuming I understand the original question from Harry Bloomfield, it
came to me that the we already have the data Harry is looking for in the
peerstats files, ie we have a data record for each response from each
configured server...

1.pool.ntp.org
Time, offset, jitter, delay
Time, offset, jitter, delay
Time, offset, jitter, delay

an.other.server
Time, offset, jitter, delay
Time, offset, jitter, delay
Time, offset, jitter, delay

Harry was looking for a display of this, so I spent a couple of hours
and made something which displays the live data...

http://secondthoughts.no-ip.org/page-peerstats.php

You will see from the plots, I am still fooling round with the conf
file, but general principle is to make a utility which can display a
24hour data 'time quality' from several servers at once (Harry asked for
the 'time' from several servers, but I interpret that to mean the
quality of the time from those servers, as all the humans I know cannot
deal with milliseconds)

Maybe Harry is really after super-humans (ie the borg), so they are all
in collective sync, but this is as good as I can do right now.

regards