[ntp:questions] Selective peerstats collection

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Thu Dec 6 12:01:51 UTC 2012

On 06/12/2012 08:42, Hal Murray wrote:
[]
> I don't know how to get selective logging.
>
> If I wanted to save wear on an SD card, I'd look into logging to
> RAMDisk and then filtering the copy that goes to real/SD disk.
>
> In terms of overall effort, it may be simpler to split the file
> system into 2 disks.  Put the logging on one and replace it when
> it wears out.  Modest size SD disks aren't very expensive.  If you
> can only get 1 disk, take good backups so you can put the system
> back together quickly and easily.

Thanks for your suggestions, Hal.  At the moment, I don't have a handle
on what to expect the lifetime of an SD card used as a Linux system
disk, so therefore how much effort to put into finding a solution.

Actually, for routine operation there's no need to log the statistics,
but they are handy for performance measurement across configuration
changes.  My own idea was to compare the peerstats offsets of different
stratum-1 servers as seen from a single stratum-1 server, to understand
the different interrupt latency on FreeBSD/Intel-Atom,
Linux/RaspberryPi, and Windows/Intel systems.

Fortunately, it's quite easy to make a backup of the system SD disk
using the Win32DiskImager program.
--
Cheers,
David