[ntp:questions] Consequences of orphan mode enabled at startup

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Fri Dec 7 09:50:15 UTC 2012

On 07/12/2012 08:33, rumegauu at ugpa.ru wrote:
> Hello,
> Why does a ntp server (with "tos orphan" enabled) start answering requests before all existing peers are checked for availability? Is there any good reason?
> Peoples have to make workarounds to avoid such behavior. But while the workarounds are relatively easy in linux (just call ntpd -q or ntpdate at boot and you have it fixed), at windows/meinberg you had to set that stuff as scheduled tasks or as custom windows service or in some other awful way...
> How do you deal with is? I mean a configuration like below:
>
> server ntp.mydomain.ru true iburst prefer minpoll 6 maxpoll 10
> tos orphan 6
> tos maxdist 3
> tinker panic 0
>
> If you set it on a windows machine and reboot, the time would be broken for about 10 minutes after startup. And what is more, the bad time would be provided across the LAN.
>
> How it can be avoided? Switching off tos orphan doesn't fit my requirements.

Just on the Windows configuration, not what you are trying to do with
NTP.  Create a batch file - ntp-restart.cmd - or whatever, with the
contents:

net stop ntp
ntpdate
net start ntp

and schedule that to be run shortly after start-up.  Using the Windows
Scheduled Tasks is no more difficult than CRON on UNIX, just different.
  Assuming you are using Vista or later you need to tick the box "Run
with highest privileges", and you can set a time delay for the task in
the Task Scheduler.

I hope that something like that will solve your problem.  Ask for more
help with the Task Scheduler if you need it.
--
Cheers,
David