[ntp:questions] Win7: ntpd adjusting time backwards

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Sun Dec 9 11:47:01 UTC 2012

> The 0 offsets suggest ntpd regularly thinks we're now in perfect sync,
> something which is certainly not true. I don't know how to properly
> interpret the error and stability values.

Zero offset means that the timestamp it read, plus half the round trip
time, matches what it thinks is the local clock time.  There may be
errors in the timestamp, and the outward and return delay times may be
different.

My guess, if you are getting a lot of zeroes, is that both the current
system and the upstream system are not able to read their local times
very precisely.