[ntp:questions] Win7: ntpd adjusting time backwards

Jeroen Mostert jmostert at xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 10 20:41:02 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-10 21:17, unruh wrote:
> On 2012-12-10, Jeroen Mostert<jmostert at xs4all.nl>  wrote:
<snip>
>> For what it's worth, after all of that, the offset is steadily zigzagging
>> between 27 and 41 ms, which I'm guessing is about the best you can hope for on a
>> Windows machine with Internet sync. There have not been any major time step
>> adjustments.
>
> Since a Linux machine under conditions of use of the internet for time
> stamps is capable of sub-millisecond synchronization, this seems really
> bad to me. I thought that clock interrupt went at 1ms intervals, and one
> should be able to do that well even without interpolation, and with
> interpolation even better.

If you say so. I have no idea how I would further diagnose a problem, if there
is one, and fix it, if there is a solution. The obvious fix would be to install
Linux, but for equally obvious reasons I'm not willing to go there. :-)

NTP (and other tools) are indeed reporting a 1 ms resolution of the clock, and I
can see the interrupt rate on core 0 is consistently above 1000 interrupts/sec,
so I'm guessing that holds up.

--
J.