[ntp:questions] Win7: ntpd adjusting time backwards

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Dec 11 11:49:15 UTC 2012

On 10/12/2012 21:18, David Woolley wrote:
> Jeroen Mostert wrote:
>

>> For what it's worth, after all of that, the offset is steadily
>> zigzagging between 27 and 41 ms, which I'm guessing is about the best
>> you can hope for on a Windows machine with Internet sync. There have
>> not been any major time step adjustments.
>
> Offsets should be scattered around zero.  If they are all the same sign,
> something is wrong.

What happens if the link to the Internet is rather asymmetrical?  For
example, here I am stuck with 30 Mb/s down, but only 3 Mb/s up.

I also note that with my PCs being stratum-1 servers or synced to local
stratum-1, there is an offset to the WAN servers of some number of
milliseconds, typically between +3 ms and +6 ms, but the LAN servers
have a near zero average offset.
--
Cheers,
David