[ntp:questions] Win7: ntpd adjusting time backwards

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Dec 11 11:42:34 UTC 2012

On 10/12/2012 20:17, unruh wrote:
[]
> Since a Linux machine under conditions of use of the internet for time
> stamps is capable of sub-millisecond synchronization, this seems really
> bad to me. I thought that clock interrupt went at 1ms intervals, and one
> should be able to do that well even without interpolation, and with
> interpolation even better.

The latest version of Windows (Win-8) can manage within 5 milliseconds
using just Internet servers:

   http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Win-8+Internet.html

It returns a more precise clock time, but there still remains one issue
which limits its performance (the quantisation of the clock adjustment -
it reports it differently from the actual value, sigh!).

As you say, Linux timekeeping can do better than Windows, but this is
hardly news.

Cheers,
David
--