[ntp:questions] Win7: ntpd adjusting time backwards

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Tue Dec 11 19:35:25 UTC 2012

David Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> What happens if the link to the Internet is rather asymmetrical?  For
> example, here I am stuck with 30 Mb/s down, but only 3 Mb/s up.

Handwaving a bit... The query and the response seem to be something
like 90 bytes (including an Ethernet header). That then is 720 bits.
At 3 Mbits/s that would be 0.24 milliseconds of transmit time.  It
would then be 0.024 milliseconds on the downlink.  I suspect that
asymmetry is dwarfed by either queueing delays (bufferbloat) when
either/both are active and/or the rest of the delays from your system
to the server(s).

rick jones
--
It is not a question of half full or empty - the glass has a leak.