[ntp:questions] Implementing NTP in a legacy system

andreas.ames at de.transport.bombardier.com andreas.ames at de.transport.bombardier.com
Wed Dec 12 10:34:59 UTC 2012

Dear all,

I'm rather new to NTP so please forgive me, if my question is trivial.

I'm maintaining a legacy system with its own proprietary time
synchronisation protocols.  Now I want to add a new subsystem which
requires a NTP daemon to be available.  I have added a gateway device
which will be used to run an NTP daemon to provide NTP based time
synchronisation to the newly added subsystem.

My questions are:

1. I want to use my legacy time synchronisation protocol/mechanism as the
reference clock of the NTP daemon on the gateway device.  In my limited
understanding this means that the NTP daemon on the gateway would become a
stratum 1 server, right? Are there ways to "easily" add new reference
clocks in popular implementations like ntpd preferably without setting the
system time on the gateway?

2. Is it possible to prevent ntpd on the gateway from setting the system
time on the gateway?

Thanks in advance,

aa

--

Bombardier Transportation GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats / Chairman of Supervisory Board: Prof. Dr.

This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) may contain confidential
or privileged information and is intended only for the individual(s) or
entity named above and to others who have been specifically authorized to
receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others. Please
notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by reply
e-mail, and delete the e-mail subsequently. Please note that in order to
protect the security of our information systems an AntiSPAM solution is in
use and will browse through incoming emails.
Thank you.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ce message (ainsi que le(s) fichier(s)), transmis par courriel, peut
contenir des renseignements confidentiels ou protégés et est destiné à
l?usage exclusif du destinataire ci-dessus. Toute autre personne est, par
les présentes, avisée qu?il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, le
distribuer ou le reproduire. Si vous l?avez reçu par inadvertance,
veuillez nous en aviser et détruire ce message. Veuillez prendre note
qu'une solution antipollupostage (AntiSPAM) est utilisée afin d'assurer la
sécurité de nos systèmes d'information et qu'elle furètera les courriels
entrants.
Merci.