[ntp:questions] Implementing NTP in a legacy system

Rob nomail at example.com
Wed Dec 12 17:55:27 UTC 2012

unruh <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote:
> On 2012-12-12, andreas.ames at de.transport.bombardier.com <andreas.ames at de.transport.bombardier.com> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm rather new to NTP so please forgive me, if my question is trivial.
>>
>> I'm maintaining a legacy system with its own proprietary time
>
> Why be coy. Why not tell us what that legacy system is. And why you
> would want to keep its own proprietary time sync protocol.

Come on, he posts using a visible domain name and you can probably guess
in what business he is.
Besides, this information is not at all required for people who want
to answer the question instead of reply with a troll remark.

> Again, you have given no information.
> But that gateway device would have to be running ntpd or some other
> program which recognizes ntp protocol queries to act as any kind of
> server for ntp. If it does not, it is not anykind of server.

He posts a clear question: is it possible to run an NTP server that
keeps its own virtual time and serves it to other systems without
synchronizing the clock of the system it is running on.

When you can answer that question, go ahead.
When not, keep silent.
But don't come up with the usual crap that you always post when someone
here asks a question.